Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mondays with Marlene

In my opinion ...

Have you ever asked your daughter to get you some rubbers? I did and the final result was quite satisfying, but getting to that point was positively hilarious. First of all she wanted me to repeat my request, which I did. Then she suggested I was probably old enough to buy my own rubbers. I agreed. Then she said she was delighted that I wasn’t too old for safe sex. I said I was delighted as well, but it didn’t have anything to do with safe sex; it was all about exercise. “Ya, ya, ya, everyone knows sex is great exercise so don’t try that one mom.”

It’s funny how some things never change. She didn’t listen to me when she was a teenager either.

After being in a brace for almost seven months, I was sadly out of shape, housebound, lacking confidence and needed to do something about it. My body was crying for help and I was up to throwing out the old lifeline, but needed some rubbers to assist me. Of course since then I have found out they aren’t called rubbers; they are officially known as Theraband, which does sound much better, especially if your daughter is involved.

So now I am the proud owner of an excellent variety of rubbers – er Theraband - to assist me into getting fit again. I found my tolerance levels, got advice from my healthcare professionals and have slowly started to increase my activity. I’m walking most morning, have now started acquacise, am trying to use my exercise ball on a regular basis and have found the Theraband some of the most useful tools I have in my little “get back into moving" arsenal.

There are still things I can’t do, and that may never change, but I’m focussing on the positive, doing what I can and am already feeling much stronger and more sure of myself.

Another great side effect? Meeting new people, getting out of the house on a regular basis and feeling so much better about myself. Important stuff.

And the sex? Well I’ll save that for another column.

No comments: