Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mondays with Marlene




In my opinion...

I trust everyone had a lovely long weekend, and that the good old bunny left you a supply of chocolate that will get you through the next month or two. Mmmmmm chocolate.

I couldn’t get to sleep last night. No, I wasn’t laying awake waiting for the Easter Bunny and the gift of chocolate. I just couldn’t get comfortable. My back was sore, my hips achy and my neck seemed to take on a life of its own, shooting attention-getting pains here and there. Finally at three a.m., I got up and took a couple of ibuprofen. That seemed to do the trick and finally I slept like a baby – until ten a.m. as a matter of fact. Good thing I’m retired or I would have had a real problem getting to work.

I should have known better and took something for the discomfort right away instead of tossing and turning for hours. I think it’s called chasing the pain. I’ve never been much of a “pill popper” and always thought it was a sign of weakness to have to take medication of any kind, but as I grow older and hopefully wiser, and with sage advice from my doctors (and my daughter Deborah - LOL), I come to realize that wasn’t true. In fact I think the weakness is trying to fight pain or discomfort alone when so many helpful tools are available to us. It’s hard to change old habits, but I’m trying, and believe me, some days it is very trying for everyone.

I’m back to walking for an hour five mornings a week, enjoying the beautiful spring weather and watching the earth come to life once again. When I think of how close I came to never seeing this particular spring, I thank the universe for all of my blessings and this old dog is slowly learning a few new tricks.

No comments: